Sunday, April 17, 2011

Easter. It's not just about a bunny that hides eggs.

First off I would like to say that any and all teachable bible lessons for children I post are not my own creation. They are a collaboration of several ideas gathered from several sources. I take no credit.


I love Easter. Probably because it’s my Mom’s favorite holiday. I loved getting dressed up in pretty dresses, a hat and little white gloves. I loved the excitement of walking down stairs Sunday morning to see what the Easter bunny (Mom) had left in a new cute basket. The basket usually held a chocolate bunny, Cadbury eggs, nail polish, lip gloss, a little money and other glittery girly things inside of little plastic eggs. What wonderful memories. I asked my 3 year old class at school on Friday why we celebrate Easter. I had the typical answers I expected, because the Easter bunny comes, because we look for eggs and so on… One child did say because it’s Jesus’ birthday. At least they got the Jesus part right. So many people remember all the moments leading up to Jesus’ crucifixion. We think of the pain of his death and the humiliation of being hung for all to see. BUT… I don’t think that’s what Easter is all about. Anyone can die on a cross. Anyone can be made fun of, beaten, betrayed and die. But only one person can die for the sins of others. Only one person can rise again. That is what Easter is all about. We were bought with a price. The blood of a prince. The Easter bunny is a much easier concept to understand as a child. So, for the first lesson I am going to suggest an alternative meaning to the symbol of an egg, a very common thing seen by children on Easter. This lesson will work best with children 3 years and older. For younger children just shorten the story.


You will need the following… A copy of Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss (Buy it, check it out at the library, or borrow it from me.) The Bible (If you don’t have one contact me, I’ll get you one) Start off by reading Galatians 5:22-23. The Fruit of the Spirit. If your child goes to my school just have them recite it. In the book Horton is gentle, kind and faithful. Focus on faithful. Let’s be faithful to God like Horton is faithful to the egg. Now read Horton Hatches the Egg. The book pretty much does all the work for you. Make sure you pause and talk about what Horton (the elephant) is going through. (I have included what to talk about below.) “I meant what I said and I said what I meant…an Elephant’s FAITHFUL one hundred percent!”
In life we have storms we must endure. For you child they might be difficulties in school. Struggles with making friends, feeling lonely, but we must still be FAITHFUL to God. Sometimes being a FAITHFUL Christian is not the popular thing to do. Sometimes you will get made fun of and teased. Jesus never said it would be easy. But we are ALL called to live a FAITHFUL life to God.


Even in our darkest hour we need to remember that we are God’s children. Hold your head high like Horton. Stick out your chest and be proud to be a prince or princess of the King! div> Sometimes things in life don’t go as we have planned. Horton is stuck on top of a tree, dug up and hauled off to be sold. He travels by cart, then by boat only to be a circus attraction. But he still remained FAITHFUL. In the end, it’s all worth it. Horton’s gift was an elephant-bird. Our gift is much greater. An eternity with our Father. This Easter every time you see an EGG let it be a reminder to us all that we are to be FAITHFUL to our God. We were bought with the blood of Jesus Christ. On the 3rd day he rose. (Children don’t understand the word rose or risen, so you might say,… On the 3rd day Jesus came alive again and is no longer dead, in fact, even though we can’t see him, he lives in our hearts.) I love this lesson. Faithfulness is difficult. The reward is great. Remember the best way to teach your children faithfulness is by showing them. Is soccer more important than church? Sleep? Work? Whatever you set as a priority in life your children will do the same. Taking your kids to church is not enough. I am challenging my self to be a servant so that my son will serve others as well. John F. Kennedy once said, “My fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.


So… My fellow Christians: ask not what your church can do for you- ask what you can do for your church. Think about it. It’s not about you, it’s about Him. Now teach it to your kids. Let’s change our churches into faithful families!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, found you on babycenter. I'm a July mom-to-be as well. Love how the baby's room looks so far!

    ReplyDelete